This 1986 Island Packet 38 is ready for a new home and new adventures. Fresh water boat that has been well cared for with many upgrades and improvements. The IP 38 features the well proven and highly acclaimed Island Packet design concept that combines a modern full keel hull with handsome traditional styling, a versatile, easily managed rig, and an unusually spacious and livable interior. The full keel design, unique to the Island Packet line, combines a contemporary performance hull form with a foil shaped full keel. This provides the benefits of spirited, powerful performance comparable to deeper fin keel designs with the added advantages of "hands-off" tracking with superior seakeeping and safety. And the moderate draft full keel gives the full capability for blue water passages as well as exploring shallow coastal waters.
Topsides, the IP 38 features large unobstructed deck and cabin top surfaces. Safe and secure deck work is ensured with raised bulwarks, premium course diamond nonskid, full length cabin top handrails, welded double bow and stern rails and double lifelines. The deck is trimmed with a wide teak cap rail and a stainless steel striker all around, with teak cockpit coamings and detail trim. All nonskid surfaces are molded in a contrasting color. The roomy cockpit features contoured seats with deep coaming backrests, a comfortable helmsman's seat, a cavernous locker to starboard with a storage tray to port, a cockpit ice box, and rack and pinion geared wheel steering for precise feel and utmost reliability. Details such as a cockpit shower unit, protected engine control panel, folding swim ladder, and stern and lifeline side gates add considerably to the pleasure of cruising.
The interior of the IP 38 features a unique tri-cabin layout with large forward and aft staterooms and a spacious central salon, each with private access to an adjoining head compartment with shower. The forward or master stateroom with adjoining private head further forward utilizes virtually the full beam of the yacht to create an exceptionally open, roomy layout. A large double berth, oversized hanging locker plus bureau and chest of drawers and numerous other detailed amenities provide for a gracious lifestyle for extended periods aboard. Bright, open and sociable best describe the inviting main salon. Large settees, a wide sole with retractable table, pull out double berth and numerous stowage areas allow a variety of uses including gracious entertaining , dining or a third cabin for extra guests. The aft facing nav station is quickly accessible from the cockpit and allows ready communication with the helmsperson.
The aft head compartment is centrally located by the companionway, convenient to the cockpit, salon and aft cabin. Two head doors are provided, allowing private access from either the aft stateroom or the salon. Both forward and aft heads are fitted with hot and cold pressure water, full fiberglass draining shower pans with auto sump-pump, large vanities and cabinets, and a curtained shower area with a teak seat. The forward head has a separate adjustable shower head with a built in soap tray.
Comfortable accommodations for two are provided in the roomy aft stateroom. The wide double berth, dressing seat, bureau and cedar lined hanging locker, plus private access to the adjoining head compartment with shower graciously provide for guests or crew.
Varnished teak bulkheads, trim, and teak and holly sole, combined with premium designer fabrics and coordinated accent surfaces impart a feeling of luxury and warmth below. Ample natural light and superior ventilation are provided by numerous overhead hatches, all opening ports, four dorade vents, and louvered interior doors.
The large wrap-around U-shaped galley is convenient to both cockpit and salon yet out of companionway traffic. Extensive standard equipment includes an LPG range with oven, deep double sinks, heavily insulated 14 cubic foot ice box, deluxe teak dish rack with cutlery drawers, hot and cold pressure water, plus details such a stove guard rail with harness attachments and a hideaway trash bin. Excellent engine access is provided through removable panels on either side and behind the companionway ladder.
Rig and Hardware
Interior Standard Equipment
- Wheel steering - Edson rack 8 pinion w/molded seat, teak cover, s/s destroyer wheel, locking wheel brake
- Compass: Ritchie SP-5, custom nav grid, pedestal guard
- Genoa gear, including tracks, blocks and sheets
- Jib halyard winch on mast, Lewmar 24C, 2-speed
- Main halyard 8 main sheet led to cockpit through heavy service stoppers to Lewmar 30C self tailing winch
- Single line “Auto Reefing” system for double set of reef points led to cockpit through heavy service stoppers to Lewmar 16C self tailing winch
- Boom vang/preventer package
- Winch handle - 10” lock-in chrome
- Jib sheet winches (2) Lewmar 46C self tailing, 2-speed
- Mid-boom sheeting for unobstructed cockpit and dodger installations
- Main sheet traveler w/4:1 control system
- Welded s/s double bow rail & stem rail, stanchions
- Double lifelines w/side gates
- Stern gate w/quick release hook
- Swim ladder (s/s transom mount) w/teak steps
- Two (2) anchor rollers with deck pipes to forepeak - s/s tilt type w/bronze rollers
- Four (4) 12” mooring cleats, two (2) 10” spring line cleats, chocks and s/s chafe guards
- Twin backstays for easy stem boarding and unobstructed helm seating
- Topping lift-adjustable
- Keel stepped mast, all anodized spars
- Thirteen (13) opening ports w/screens - polished stainless steel
- Six(6) deck hatches-forward head, forward cabin, salon, aft head, aft cabin, galley-Lewmar (Lexan & aluminum)
- Four (4) low profile deck ventilators
- Large forepeak w/louvered access door and overhead deck pipes, center divider w/ attachment for rodes, light
- Forward head w/shower(drain to auto sump), w/curtain on track, teak seat, large vanity w/s/ s sink, hot and cold pressure water with shower, unbreakable mirror, Formica counter w/ teak trim, storage cabinets, two (2) owing ports and an overhead hatch, toothbrush holder w/cup, toilet paper holder.
- Forward cabin w/privacy doors to salon and head compartment. Large double berth w/full length teak shelf outboard, large stowage lockers under, nightstand, four (4) drawers. Generous cedar lined hanging locker with shelf over plus bureau with shelf over. Three (3) opening ports, overhead hatch, deck vents, teak and holly sole.
- Main salon w/pull-out double L-shaped settee berth to starboard, single settee berth to port, teak cabinets and book shelves outboard of both settees. Large stowage areas behind and under each settee. Cedar lined hanging locker with shelf over. Deluxe drop leaf table folds against bulkhead rack (with bottle stowage) for unobstructed 4’ wide teak & holly sole. Large overhead hatch, numerous opening ports, deck vents, and overhead handrails.
- Navigation station with large table w/tray storage under nav light, two position table top, generous nav/electronics cabinet w/master DC/AC electrical panel plus room for a variety of owner installed equipment.
- Aft head w/shower pan (drain to auto sump), shower area w/curtain on track, teak seat (seat retracts for access to marine head), large vanity w/ s/s sink, hot and cold pressure water w/ shower, full length unbreakable mirror, Formica counter w/teak trim, storage cabinets, overhead hatch and opening port, toothbrush holder w/cup, toilet paper holder. Door conveniently located near companionway in main cabin plus additiiai door for private access to aft cabin.
- Aft cabin w/privacy doors to main cabin and head compartment. Large double berth w/full length teak shelf outboard, stowage lockers under, dressing seat. Generous cedar lined hanging locker w/shelf over, bureau w/shelf-over, two (2) opening ports plus overhead hatch, teak and holly soIe.
- All cushions (berths, settees, dressing seat) 5” thick foam and upholstered in premium designer fabrics.
- Removable teak companionway ladder with engine access behind. Engine access also from both sides thru removable panels in aft cabin and galley.
- Storage rack for companionway drop boards. Center drop board fitted with fixed port w/ etched logo.
- Molded nonskid cabin sole adjacent to companionway, galley and nav station, with draining grate in front of ladder. (Teak grate lifts out for dust pan and dust pan lifts out for bilge access).
- Teak bulkheads, cabinetry, trim - select grain w/satin varnish finish.
- Teak louvered cabin and locker doors
- Molded fiberglass interior headliner with textured finish, teak trim
- Teak and holly sole in main salon, forward and aft cabins - varnish finish.
- Large wrap-around design w/Formica surfaces, teak sea rails on all edges.
- Ice box - top loading, heavily insulated with lift-out shelf and divider, large 14 cubic foot volume. Insulated top and lids. Drain to auto sump.
- Three burner LPG stove with oven - s/s deluxe safety type, teak cutting board cover, gimbals, s/s guard rail w/harness hooks.
- Double s/s sink w/hot and cold single lever pressure water tap, manual water pump, retractable spray unit.
- Trash bin, paper towel holder, towel rack, soap rack
- Deluxe teak dish rack and cutlery drawers
- Large storage areas above and below counter
- Cockpit instrument access cabinet
Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing
- 100% hand laid fiberglass construction throughout with ISO/NPG type gel coat for maximum durability
- Hull molded in one piece with extra strong triaxial glass, unified with an engineered molded interior grid structure
- Deck laminate cored with advanced Polycel” - a tough microsphere and resin matrix that is heat, rot and delamination proof
- Deck attached to integrally molded hull flange with bolts, lock nuts, and urethane adhesive sealant
- Deck hardware thru-bolted with aluminum backup plates
- Two-tone deck - low-glare ivory white w/tan molded nonskid (premium coarse diamond pattern)
- Ivory white hull (painted in 2019) w/Blue cove and Blue boot stripes.
- Teak rub rail, cap rail and bowsprit platform cap with s/s striker strip-oil finish
- Contoured cockpit seats 7%’ long, coaming storage boxes, seat locker and tray
- Molded fiberglass sliding companionway hatch w/sea hood, inside latch and exterior hasp.
- Two 1 and a half inch cockpit scuppers
- Cockpit ice box
- Cockpit shower/wash down (cold only)
- LPG deck storage bin
Electronics and Navigation
- Yanmar 44 HP diesel - four (4) cylinder, fresh water cooled, rubber isolation mounts on reinforced fiberglass bed with oil pan, twin fuel pumps (mech. and elec.), twin fuel filters
- Dahl@ water separator, fuel filter, jacketed fuel line w/swedged ends.
- Sound insulated engine compartment w/access from sides and forward.
- Engine room light, exhaust blower
- Engine intake strainer - bronze
- Recessed cockpit instrument panel with electric tachometer, fuel gauge, engine monitoring and warning system, removable acrylic cover
- Single lever engine control side mounted by helm w/removable handle
- Two (2) 12V Prevailer DF-180 gelled maintenance free batteries
- Deluxe aluminum master electric panel w/four way battery switch, circuit breakers for 12V D-C and 115V A-C systems, A-C and D-C gauges, battery test system, reverse polarity protection, indicator lights, hour meter, elec. pump controls, LPG control, battery charger control
- 115v SV A-C 30 amp dockside power system with polarity protection, 50’ shore power cord, 8 outlets
- Marine converter/battery charger - 30 amp.
- 12V lighting fixtures throughout cabin (18) - designer teak swivel type
- Water heater - 11 gallon marine type w/engine heat exchanger and 115V A-C operation
- Pressure water system with hot and cold water tap in galley and head, shower in heads, cockpit
- Manual water pump in galley
- LPG stove system w/l0 lb. aluminum tank (in draining deck storage well), remote solenoid shutoff, gauge
- Two (2) marine heads w/30 gallon holding tank, overboard bypass
- 157 gallon welded marine alum. fresh water tank w/deck fill, gauge at panel, tank
- 57 gallon welded marine aluminum fuel tank w/deck fill, gauge in cockpit, tank
- Deck fittings for water, fuel, waste
- Electric bilge pump w/auto switch integral w/master panel
- Manual bilge pump - heavy duty (144” hose). Mounted in cockpit near helm.
- U.L approved, flanged marine sea cocks on all thru-hulls below waterline
- Electrical bonding system for rig and all underwater metals
- High intensity running lights conforming to latest Colreg specs
- Foredeck light mast mounted at spreaders
- Masthead anchor light
- Pre-wired radio antenna cable in mast and interior
- Electric sump pump for ice box, shower drains w/auto switch integral w/master panel
- AIS Vesper XB-8000 AIS Transponder w/WiFi new in 2018
- B&G Zeus 3 12" GPS Plotter new in 2018
- B&G 4G Radar new in 2018
- ACR Global Fix IPRO EPIRB new in 2018
- Two B&G Triton displays, anemometer new in 2018
- Sonic Hub 2 Sound System, integrates with B&G MFD new in 2018
- B&G V90 VHF/AIS with wireless handsets new 2018
- Simrad DD15 Drive NAC3 Autopilot
- Navpod Sailpod and Pedestal Guard
Recent Upgrades and Improvements
- Mainsail: Ullman, a solidly built sail that is in fair condition and serviceable. Built for offshore use with 3 reef points.
- Tides Marine Track System on the mast making hoisting and dropping the sail much easier than standard slides.
- Genoa: Ullman 130%, roller furler cut, new in 2018, good condition.
- Staysail: Ullman, good condition for her age with relatively low miles. Good upwind sail.
- Spinnaker: Ullman, lightly used and in good condition.
- Dousing Sock for the spinnaker
Irish Boat Shop Disclaimer
- Topsides painted with White Awlgrip in 2019 = $17,950
- Painted Cove Stripe and Painted Boot Stripe Blue in 2019 = $970
- Painted decks, cabin top and sides, and cockpit in 2019 = $38,344
- Thu-hulls replaced in 2019 = $911
- Replaced portlights in 2019 = $12,509
- Replaced deck hatches in 2019 = $6,792
- New hardware for traveler in 2019 = $1,695
- Upgrade pedestal in 2019 = $1,260
- Painted dinghy davits in 2019 = $505
- Clean and lube winches in 2019 = $1,871
- Rigging upgrades in 2019 = $1,316
- Rudder replacement in 2018 = $10,307
- Replaced sanitation hoses in 2018 = $4,766
- Full barrier coat and bottom paint in 2018 = $13,172
- New electronics in 2018 = $12,134
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.